01527 879 777

Talk to us to help save yourself time & money

Goods In Transit Insurance

Trust that the goods you or your business are transporting are fully covered thanks to comprehensive goods in transit insurance

Sb Goods In Transit (1)

Why choose Howden for Goods in Transit Insurance?

Howden is the new name for A-Plan. As a broker which specialises in business insurance, we pride ourselves on doing the heavy lifting, so you don’t have to. Thanks to the great relationships we have with our selected panel of standard and specialist insurers, we make the process of comparing multiple chauffeur fleet insurance policies, on your behalf, simple and easy. What’s not to like?

Here at Howden, we also understand that each property policy needs to be as individual as its owner, and that’s why we provide a tailor-made, personalised service, focused on getting to know you and finding out exactly what you want from your goods in transit insurance.

Ultimately though, whether you need to make a claim, purchase a new policy, or renew an existing one, just know that we’re here to help.

Benefits of working with Howden:

  • You can trust us – we’re rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
  • We’re driven to save you time, money, and hassle.
  • Benefit from a tailored service that comparison sites can’t provide.
  • Speak with your local branch, within your community.
  • We’re right by your side in the event of a claim.

What is Goods in Transit Insurance?

Goods in transit insurance is designed to protect goods and merchandise while they’re being transported from one location to another. This type of insurance is particularly important for businesses that rely on shipping and transportation as part of their operations.

The movement of goods can take many forms, from simple delivery by couriers to international logistics firms. However, the size of the business operation doesn't matter so much as making sure the right goods in transit protection is in place. When you carry goods whether it’s for a client, or for your own delivery, your business' reputation is on the line, and that’s why goods in transit insurance is so valuable.

It’s not simply about protecting the value of the goods you carry either: it’s also about protecting yourself against the consequences of delays.

We have been supporting clients with this complex area of insurance for many years, so we are confident that we can help you find the right policy for your business.

Do I need goods in transit insurance?

While you’re not legally expected to have goods in transit insurance, it’s strongly advised that you do have it when transporting either your belongings or someone else’s, to mitigate the risks associated. The absence of this coverage may leave you susceptible to the consequences of complications that may arise during the delivery of goods.

If you’re delivering goods professionally, your customers may also insist that you have a goods in transit insurance policy in place before they allow you to transport belongings on their behalf.

More information about Goods in Transit Insurance

What does goods in transit insurance cover?

Goods in transit insurance provides coverage for items being transported for a fee, such as haulage services, or for your own goods.

There are four primary risks associated with goods in transit, including:

  • Damage
  • Loss
  • Theft
  • Delayed delivery

If the items you are transporting are within the scope of your policy, goods in transit insurance could safeguard against these potential issues. This insurance can apply to a variety of items, including parcels, packages, newspapers, and letters. Your goods in transit insurance policy can be customised to address the specific items you are carrying. It also allows for the inclusion of individually valuable items within the policy or provides coverage for all items in transit.

Before buying this policy though, be sure to check the insurer’s policy wording and terms and conditions, because not all policies are the same, with some insurers offering levels of cover from one another.


How much is goods in transit insurance?

How much your goods in transit insurance will cost will depend on your personal situation, the type of policy you’re after, the insurer you’re getting quotes from, and the details you provide.

How often will you be transporting goods? Will you want to upgrade your policy with add-ons? How secure is your vehicle? What types of goods are you delivering?

These are all questions an insurer needs answers to in order to be able to give you a quote that reflects everything you’re looking for from a goods in transit insurance policy.

The best way to find out how much a policy might cost you is by getting in touch with us here at Howden. Our team will strive to learn more about you and go that extra mile to find you a comprehensive policy that not only meets your expectations, but also suits whatever your budget is.


How to get goods in transit insurance

In order to get goods in transit insurance, you’ll need to request a quote from an insurance provider or broker. You can get in touch with an insurance professional via our website. All you need to do is click on the “Get a Quote” button and you’ll be directed to a quote form.

Here you’ll be asked for a few details about yourself, and once you’ve submitted those, our team will get back to you as soon as they can, before they help you find a goods in transit insurance policy that ticks all your boxes.

Alternatively, why not give us a call on 01993 221 922, and get through to a member of our specialist business insurance team.

Goods in Transit Insurance FAQs

What’s the difference between goods in transit insurance and courier insurance?

Although comprehensive courier insurance extends coverage to both your vehicle and yourself, it doesn’t encompass the parcels or goods being transported. Goods in transit insurance, on the other hand, offers protection for the items you move between locations, whether they belong to you or are being transported for hire and reward purposes.


Does goods in transit insurance come with public liability cover?

The inclusion of public liability cover in a goods in transit insurance policy is dependent on the insurance provider. Some insurers will include public liability cover in their policy, whereas others will make it available as an optional add-on.

This type of insurance provides financial support for damages and expenses in the event that you unintentionally cause injury to someone or damage their property while carrying out your work, and they choose to file a lawsuit against you.


Do I need goods in transit insurance to move home?

If you’re moving your belongings to your new home, and you want them to be insured and covered, yes, you’ll need a goods in transit insurance policy.

Typically, your contents are protected against damage while in transit between properties when you hire a professional removal company. However, coverage for fragile items may only apply if they have been professionally packed.


Do I need goods in transit insurance when moving business premises?

You aren’t legally required or expected to have goods in transit insurance when moving your belongings across business premises. However, if you want to be covered whilst moving the business contents yourself, you can always arrange to have one-off cover. This cover would support you financially if your business items were to be stolen or lost during transit.

Otherwise, you can also use a removal service, because they should have a goods in transit policy in place to protect your content whilst on the move.


Get in touch

Try us out and see how we can help save money and make finding the right insurance cover that little bit easier for you.

Courier van cover that keeps you on the roads

If you’re a courier or run a fleet of couriers, you can’t afford to have your business off the road. We can help you find courier van insurance cover to suit your needs.

Professional business cover for hauliers and couriers

Whichever way your business transports its deliveries, whether they’re hauled or couriered, we can help you find insurance that can support your operation.