Howden are like a family, they are warm and welcoming, it’s a place that truly feels like homeKelly Ogley, CEO
Who we are
Howden is a group of talented insurance experts who have the freedom to deliver for clients and the support to do what they do best. Our people are our biggest asset and our largest shareholder group, and everything that makes us unique – our culture, the quality service we offer our clients, and our continued growth- all come from this employee-owned model.
All our people, whether they hold shares or not, are driven to create a business to be proud of. That’s because we’re all united by a shared passion and no-limits mindset, which means we take out work personally. Our people have delivered groceries to elderly clients, invented whole new products to meet clients’ needs, and even invited to clients’ weddings. We’re not about cookie-cutter, off the shelf, one-size-fits-all insurance.
We do people first insurance.
This no limits approach means that we can rise to any challenge. Whatever the question, the concern, or the risk, we can get the right people in a room and find the right answer. Our collective power is also helping us to change the insurance narrative – doing right by our clients while using insurance as a tool to build resilience for individuals, businesses and communities. From pro bono work to insuring COVID-19 vaccine development to de-risking the carbon market, we’re using our skills, knowledge, and networks to make a difference and speed positive change in the world around us.
We want to make Howden the best workplace it can be
We have worked hard to build a culture that is welcoming and supportive. We hire people with the talent to succeed and the potential to grow and we help them do just that. Howden is a global business with an entrepreneurial mindset and we put our people first in everything we do. We value independent thinkers, celebrate different perspectives and experiences, and strive to make Howden a great place to work.
Add a culture of responsibility, respect and results to our insurance experience and expertise worldwide and you create a freedom to perform that allows people to create many different paths to success.
Own your destiny
Our people create their own destinies, and it’s no coincidence that they also make up our largest shareholder group. Our business succeeds by allowing our people to make a mark in the areas they care about most: personal development, volunteering and fundraising for charity, or creating new insurance products that address society’s greatest challenges.
With more than 100 insurance products available, at over 100 branches across the country, our friendly branch teams are dedicated to finding you the right policy at the right price. From home insurance to horsebox, commercial cover to kit cars; we have access to a range of mainstream and niche insurers, who offer the full breadth of policies to cover your every specialist requirement.
- Personal lines
- Specialist lines
- Private Client
Through strong client service focus, supported by best-in-class systems, data insight, dedicated locally based advisors, we have built an empowered, entrepreneurial, and dedicated team of insurance experts.
Whether you are in Branch or Function your experience won’t change – we all hold the same values and culture.
To name just a few, our functions cover areas including:
- Marketing, Digital & Communications
- People/Human Resources
- IT team – Technology, Data & Security
- Risk Management
All these teams work collaboratively together to make sure our branch teams have everything they need to be the best they can be. Like our branch network, our functions have grown considerably since our inception and continue to do so.
Everyone is here to go the extra mile, to try new ideas, to support each other and to make sure we operate efficiently, so even though we are behind the scenes, we play a big part in making sure our clients receive the best.
What you'll get
We believe that great work and dedication should be rewarded, that’s why we offer:
- Excellent training from day one, beginning with a thorough induction, our Onboarding and Training Team, work through a structured in branch, e-Learning and classroom programme to cover everything you need to excel within your new role.
- Clearly defined development schemes with accelerated career progression opportunities.
- Career enhanced training including assessment days, talent academies, upskilling etc.
- Access to a Healthcare Cashplan, giving you access to 17 different benefits, all paid for by Howden.
- Discount on gym membership across the UK – national and local gyms included.
- Flexible benefits include critical illness cover, private medical insurance, income protection etc.
- Mentor and training schemes for our future leaders and branch managers.
- Company funded CII professional qualification.
- 22 days holiday, increasing to 27 days through service (plus bank holidays).
- Access to hundreds of high street retailer discounts through the company’s reward and recognition platform.
- An Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) to support employees outside of work.
- Employee discount on wide range of insurance products.
- A range of benefits including contributory pension scheme and death in service.