0208 672 3375

Talk to us to help save yourself time & money

Thatched Property Insurance

Trust our thatched property insurance to handle the unique challenges that come with these unique types of constructions.

Thatched cottage at sunset

Why choose Howden for Thatched Property Insurance?

Howden is the new name for A-Plan. As a specialist home insurance broker, we pride ourselves on doing the heavy lifting, so you don’t have to. Thanks to the collaborative relationships we have with our selected panel of standard and specialist insurers, we make the process of comparing multiple thatched property insurance policies, on your behalf, simple and easy. What’s not to like?

Here at Howden, we also know that each policy needs to be as individual as its owner and their property, and that’s why we provide a tailored, personalised service, focused on getting to know you and finding out exactly what you want from your thatched property insurance cover.

Ultimately, whether you need to make a claim, purchase a new specialist home policy, or renew an existing one, just know that we’re here to help.

If you own a thatched or partially thatched property with a rebuild value of £700,000 or more then talk to our specialist team. Find out more

Benefits of working with us:

  • You can trust us – we’re rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
  • We’re driven to save you time, money, and hassle.
  • Benefit from a tailored service that comparison sites can’t provide.
  • Speak with your local branch, within your community.
  • We’re right by your side in the event of a claim.

How does Thatched Property Insurance work?

Owning a thatched home brings with it some unique challenges. It’s not just the thatched roof that is usually considered ‘non-standard’ on a thatched home, they are often also timber-framed with brick, stone or plaster infill, and generally constructed from a wide range of materials that are used on older homes.

With this in mind, for thatched property owners, it’s important that they have an insurance policy that can provide a specialised and unique type of coverage that’s more flexible and specifically accommodating compared to a standard home insurance policy. Thatched property insurance does that, covering policyholders from the specific risks associated with thatched properties.

It’s easy to buy a thatched insurance policy directly, but in the event of a fire, you need to know that you fully comply with the many terms that can apply, including:

  • Smoke detection requirements
  • Fire extinguisher requirements
  • Electrical checks – usually required every five years
  • Regular chimney sweeping
  • Woodburning stoves

Once you’re fully complying, we can then work on accessing a range of thatched property policies and help you find one that suits your needs. We understand the distinct needs of thatched property owners and believe that is key to the service and advice we provide as an experienced specialist home insurance broker.


Get in touch

Try us out and see how we can help save money and make finding the right insurance cover that little bit easier for you.

Protect your listed property with the cover it deserves.

Let us help you find listed property insurance that’s worthy of protecting your properties special architectural and historic interest.

Forget what’s ‘standard’, we insure quirky, unique, and unusual homes.

Finding insurance for a home that’s not considered ‘standard’ doesn’t need to be tricky, thanks to our non-standard constriction insurance.

Trust experts to help you find the right insurance for your timber-framed house

We can help you find a timber-framed house insurance policy that's built to last.