Why choose Howden for Wine Insurance?
Our clients mean more to us than just a policy number. We’re here to build a relationship and earn their trust – so we assign each and every one a qualified insurance professional to act as their dedicated point of contact.
Providing advice is at the heart of everything we do, so we always offer clear, sensible, and independent advice about what our clients should insure and how. So, if they ever need to claim, they can be confident in their success.
We work directly with specialist collectible and wine insurance providers, so that we can provide tailorable policies to fit our clients’ unique and personal circumstances.
Benefits of working with us:
- Expertise and advice for now and the future
- Dedicated, professionally qualified team of experts
- Each year over 95 per cent of our clients choose to stay with us
- Rated “Excellent” on Trustpilot
- A Private Client legacy which dates back to 1948
How does Wine Insurance work?
Do you invest in wine or buy it to drink? Either way it’s very important to protect your collection, just as you would a piece of art, and a surprising number of wine lovers have inadequate insurance for their collection.
A surprising number of wine lovers have inadequate insurance for their collection, and that’s because they rely on a standard home insurance policy, which leaves them potentially uninsured. For example, a standard home insurance policy will likely have built in limits for wine, sometimes as low as £5,000. You may also own a particularly high-value bottle which should be insured separately.
So, what could happen to your wine, which you could be covered for under a typical wine insurance policy?
- Accidents happen. It’s unlikely that you would claim for dropping just one bottle, but a collection could be damaged whilst in transit or your storage shelves could collapse.
- Temperature or humidity changes as a result of faulty equipment or a power outage could damage the wine, and claims arising from these would generally be excluded under a standard household policy.
- Theft of good quality wine happens. Like a piece of art, WINE is highly attractive to thieves who know what they are looking for.
- Water damage, given cellars are great to regulate temperature but are generally at the bottom of the house, leaving them exposed to ground water flooding, flash floods and burst pipes.
- Fire could damage the labels and bottle, and the resulting smoke could taint the wine.
It’s important to remember that every insurer will offer different coverage from one another, so it’s important you speak to an insurance professional to get 100% clarity around how your insurer’s wine insurance works.
Whether you savour your Lafite or quaff your Barolo there is a lot to think about, so talk to us and we will help simplify and demystify the best way to insure your wine collection.
Get in touch
We understand that we’re working for something more important than money. We’re working for your trust.