03301 00 87 20

Talk to us to help save yourself time & money

Welcome to Howden, the new name for Aston Lark

About the merger trending_flat

Motor Traders Road Risks Only

Wherever your business lies within the motor trade industry, you need reliable road risk insurance cover behind you to ensure you’re able to operate your business smoothly.

Sb Motor Traders Road Risks (1)

Why choose Howden for motor trade Road Risk Only Insurance?

As a broker which specialises in both motor and business insurance, we pride ourselves on doing the heavy lifting, so you don’t have to. Thanks to the great relationship we have with the specialists at Road Runner, we make the process of sourcing various motor trade and road risk only insurance policies, on your behalf, simple and easy. What’s not to like?

The Road Runner team knows that each motor trade road risk policy needs to be as individual as its owner and their motor business, and that’s why they provide a tailored, personalised service, focused on getting to know you and finding out exactly what you want from your insurance cover.

Ultimately, whether you need to make a claim, purchase a new business or motor policy, or renew an existing one, just know that the Road Runner and Howden teams are here to help.

Benefits of working with Howden:

  • Awarded Feefo's Platinum Trusted Service Award
  • We’re driven to save you time, money, and hassle.
  • Benefit from a tailored service that comparison sites can’t provide.
  • Speak with your local branch, within your community.
  • We’re right by your side in the event of a claim.

What is Road Risk Insurance?

Road risk insurance is a specialised type of insurance coverage which is specifically designed to protect motor trade businesses, which tend to be involved in the buying, selling, and servicing of vehicles.

Here’s some examples of motor traders who might drive vehicles as part of their work and could need this type of insurance:

If you drive a vehicle that isn’t your own to carry out your business, whether you’re moving a vehicle between homes or from an auction house to a garage, you’re always required to have road risks cover to protect you. In fact, it’s a legal requirement that you have this insurance, otherwise you’ll not be insured to drive vehicles associated with your business. This type of insurance is also best suited to motor traders who work from home, or in locations which aren’t normally classified as business premises.

There’s three different levels of road risk cover you can choose from:

Third-party only

This only covers you if any third-party property or individual, not including yourself and the vehicle you’re driving, is damaged or injured in an accident.

Third-party, theft and fire

This is the same as third-party only cover, except it also protects the vehicle you’re driving in case it’s stolen or is damaged by a fire


Finally, you have the highest level of cover, which includes all the benefits mentioned in the previous levels of cover, as well as cover for accidents that lead to personal injury or damage to any involved vehicle.


Comprehensive road risk insurance will offer you the most protection, but it’s also limited. You’re only covered for the trade value of the vehicle insured and insurers will often have policy exclusions that you need to be aware of, such as no inclusion of public or employers’ liability cover, which would need to be bought separately from road risk insurance.

We understand though that navigating countless motor trade related policies can be tricky, and knowing exactly what’s right for your business isn’t always straightforward. But that’s where the specialists at Road Runner can help. The team are experienced professionals who understand the market and can help you find a road risk policy that not only makes the most sense for your specific business, but also provide adequate cover for you personally.


Get in touch

Try us out and see how we can help save money and make finding the right insurance cover that little bit easier for you.

Specialised road risk cover for non-standard motor trade businesses

The motor trade industry is full of unique and different businesses, and they need flexible and tailorable road risk insurance policies too.

Tailored protection for professional motor traders

Make the most of our range of motor trade insurances, capable of covering for road risks, liability, and accidents on company premises.

Motor trade insurance solutions for SMEs

Need help finding an insurance policy to cover your motor trade business? You’ve come to the right place.