Painter and Decorator Insurance

Let us help you find a business insurance policy for painters and decorators that’s tailorable to your needs.

Sb Painter And Decorator Insurance

Why choose Howden for Painter and Decorator Insurance?

We know how difficult and stressful it can be for tradesmen to find the insurance policies they need, and that’s why we strive to do the heavy lifting instead, so you don’t have to.

Thanks to the brilliant relationships we have with our selected panel of both standard and specialist insurers, we’re able to make the process of sourcing different painter and decorator insurance options, on your behalf, simple and straightforward.

Here at Howden, our team of experts understand that each painter and decorator insurance policy needs to be unique and tailored to each owner and their painter and decorator business. That’s why we provide personalised services to our clients, which focuses on getting to know you and your business better, whilst also learning more about what you want from your painter and decorator insurance policy.

So, what are you waiting for? Whether you need to make a claim, purchase a new painter and decorator insurance policy, or renew an existing one, just know that we’re always here to help.

Benefits of working with Howden:

  • You can trust us – we’re rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
  • We’re driven to save you time, money, and hassle.
  • Benefit from a tailored service that comparison sites can’t provide.
  • Speak with your local branch, within your community.
  • We’re right by your side in the event of a claim.

Why do you need Painter and Decorator Insurance?

Painters and decorators need to have insurance so that they can protect themselves in the event that something unfortunate happens, whether it’s an accident, a mistake, or a tool gets stolen.

Imagine one of your most valuable tools gets stolen? What if an accident caused by your business leaves you financially liable? What happens if one of your employees is injured whilst on the job. That’s where insurance for painters and decorators can help, keeping you adequately covered when the unexpected happens.

Now, how you wish to insure yourself and your business is entirely up to you, but, just know that there’re various different forms of insurance available, that can provide the peace of mind and financial stability that painters and decorators need to feel safe and comfortable to do their job.


What types of Business Insurance does a Painter and Decorator need?

So, what types of business insurance policies can a painter and decorator benefit from? Pick and choose from the policy types below and build an insurance package that works best for you.

Public Liability Insurance

Someone outside of your business such as a member of the public or client injured as a result of your work? A public liability insurance policy can protect from can claims or legal costs that arise.

Employers’ Liability Insurance

This provides cover if an employee gets injured or ill whilst out working for your business.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Business insurance that focuses on covering for professional errors and negligence causing client financial losses.

Personal Accident Insurance

Personal accident cover is there to support anyone you’ve chosen to cover if they’re injured whilst on the job or outside of work.

Tools Insurance

What happens if your painting and decorating tools are damaged, stolen, or lost? Trust tools insurance cover to have your back (sometimes also known as property away and in transit insurance).

Business Equipment Insurance

This form of business insurance protects you if something unfortunate were to happen to your valuable business equipment.

Van Insurance

Having the right coverage for your vehicle is vital to ensure your properly protected whilst on the road, driving between jobs.

Reach out to us and we can provide you with more information about each of these products, and many more optional extras!


Public Liability Insurance for Painters and Decorators

Whilst it's not a legal requirement to have painters’ and decorators’ public liability insurance, it is highly recommended within the industry that you do have this cover in place.

Public liability insurance for painters and decorators is designed to provide cover against any third-party injuries and property damage caused by the painting and decorating work that's done.

Imagine, for example, that a member of the team accidentally damages an expensive piece of furniture whilst decorating a client's property - public liability insurance can help to pay for the legal expenses and compensation costs that arise following the client's claim.

Without having a painters and decorators public liability insurance policy, you run the risk of operating your business without appropriate protection, leaving you vulnerable when something unfortunate happens to you, your employees, your clients, or members of the public.


What insurance does a Self-employed Painter and Decorator need?

We'd recommend that self-employed painters and decorators take out any of the policies we've mentioned above, whether it be liability insurance products, or life and health policies, such as income protection insurance, business life insurance or critical illness insurance.

If we had to choose two absolute must have business insurance policies for self-employed painters and decorators, we'd choose public liability insurance and employers' liability insurance. These two policies are key types of cover that can ensure your painting and decorating business runs smoothly, giving both you and your employees the peace of mind they need in order to do their job to the best of their abilities.

Have a look at our self-employed insurance and learn more about the various policies that could benefit both yourself and your business.


What won't Painter and Decorator Insurance cover?

Depending on the insurer, policy level and the type of cover you choose will depend on what painters’ and decorators’ insurance will cover you for.

What we can say though is that, on the whole, an insurance provider is unlikely to pay compensation for:

  • Accidents or illnesses that happen to employees working offshore.
  • Accidents or injuries that occur whilst in transit.
  • Any injuries or illnesses caused by deliberate acts.

Just remember that each insurer will have a unique claims process and its own cover limits, so it's important that you read policy terms and conditions before committing to a provider so that you avoid being left unpleasantly surprised if you're not covered in the way that you'd hoped.


How much does Painter and Decorator Insurance cost?

Painting and decorating insurance varies in price depending on the insurance provider. The insurance premiums they'll offer will depend on various factors, including:

  • The amount of excess you choose to pay.
  • Where your business is located.
  • The size of your business.
  • The types and level of cover you opt for.
  • Whether you pay in monthly instalments or as a lump sum.

We also like to remind our clients that, although we are always striving to find policies for the best prices, the right insurance isn't always the cheapest.

Our team looks to help you get your hands on a painter and decorator insurance policy that not only meets your budgetary expectations, but also provides you with the level of cover you're looking for.

With Howden, you also have the option to pay for your insurance policy via direct debit, if that's your preference.


Who do we also insure?

Not only can we help carpenters, but we can also offer cover for a wide range of other tradesmen, such as:


Related Articles

Want to learn more about insurance for painters and decorators? Have a read of the articles below that you can find on the Howden Blog!


Painter and Decorator Insurance FAQs

What do I need to get a quote?

Getting a painters and decorators insurance quote couldn’t be easier. When you get in touch with us, all that we ask is that you make sure you have the following information ready to provide us with:

  • The level and type of cover you’re after
  • The value of your equipment and tools
  • Details about your business and the number of people you have employed
  • Claims history

To get started with finding the perfect painters and decorators policy, you can either give us a call on ---- or click on the Get a Quote button below. That’ll put you through to a member of our team who would be more than happy to help you with your insurance query.

What is employers’ liability insurance?

If an employee of your business becomes ill or gets injured whilst they’re doing their job, employers’ liability insurance is there to cover you.

Employees typically make claims to compensate for employer negligence. For example, if an employee of your painting and decorating business falls from a faulty piece of equipment whilst out on the job, they could make a claim, expecting compensation for the injury they suffered from as a result of the fall.

Employers’ liability insurance covers that compensation, and for any legal costs that stem from claims.

What if I don’t have employers’ liability insurance?

Unlike public liability insurance, you must employers’ liability insurance if your business has employees. If you don’t, you risk being fined around £2,500 for every day that you don’t have the cover in place.

You also need to make sure that you have your employers’ liability insurance certificate on display and is visible to any inspector that visit your business, else you could also face another similar fine.


Get in touch

Try us out and see how we can help save money and make finding the right insurance cover that little bit easier for you.

Liability cover that protects you, your employees, and your business.

It’s essential that you and your business are ready when the unexpected happens. Look no further than Howden’s employers’ liability insurance.

Public Liability Insurance you can trust

Look no further than an insurance broker for essential protection against third-party damage and injuries.

Professional indemnity cover that backs your business

Sometimes things go wrong in business, and that’s normal, but you need reliable professional indemnity insurance to help soften the blow.