Why choose Howden for Travel Insurance?
Howden are delighted to introduce travel insurance via DOA Underwriting.
They can provide single or annual cover.
Here at Howden, when it comes to arranging your travel insurance, we pride ourselves on doing the heavy lifting, so you don’t have to. Thanks to the great relationships we have with our selected panel of insurers, including the travel specialists at Millstream Underwriting, we make the process of comparing multiple insurance policies, on your behalf, simple and straightforward. What’s not to like?
As an experienced insurance broker, we also know that each travel policy needs to be as individual as its owner, and their travels, and that’s why we provide a personalised service, focused on getting to know you and finding out exactly what you want from your cover.
Ultimately though, whether you need to make a claim, purchase a new travel policy, or renew an existing one, just know that we’re here to help.
Benefits of working with Howden:
- You can trust us – we’re rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
- We’re driven to save you time, money, and hassle.
- Benefit from a tailored service that comparison sites can’t provide.
- Speak with your local branch, within your community.
- We’re right by your side in the event of a claim.
What does Travel Insurance cover?
Travel insurance covers you financially if something happens to you while you’re away or before you travel. This could include the costs of cancelling your trip if you become ill and can’t go, the costs of emergency medical treatment whilst you’re away, or if your baggage is lost, damaged or stolen during your trip.
Your specific travel plan will, ultimately, dictate the travel insurance coverage you’ll get. By providing us with us many details as possible about your travel plans and those who need to be covered, we are then more likely to provide a bespoke policy which is most tailored to your needs.
But what’s generally covered under a standard travel insurance policy?
- Lost money from cancelled trips – in case you need to cancel travel plans at the last minute, perhaps due to an illness or injury.
- Emergency medical expenses – If you happen to fall ill or get injured whilst on your travels.
- Evacuation costs – covers the cost of getting you or someone you're travelling with back home safely.
- Baggage and delays – if your flight arrived later than expected or your baggage is lost damaged or stolen during your trip.
- 24/7 assistance – you will have the ability to contact someone about your policy whenever you need to.
That’s not all either. Anyone who takes out a travel policy through one of our insurers could also benefit from:
- Support if you lose your passport.
- Automatic inclusion for many minor medical conditions plus an online health screening facility with access to medically trained nurses.
- Cover for financial failure of your airline, hotel, or travel company.
- Cover for if your accommodation is uninhabitable.
- Many sports are automatically included, with the option to include winter sports and high-risk activities.
- Option to include business travel and working abroad
- Cover for trips being disrupted by a pandemic.
As an insurance broker, it’s our job to help our clients find the right cover for their travels plans. Anyone can access this cover either online through our website or by speaking to our knowledgeable travel insurance team in branch or over the phone on 01252 728316.
Do I need travel insurance?
Travel insurance is not compulsory for most countries’ entry requirements. However, could you afford to pay for your holiday if you became unwell, or worse, pay for treatment abroad if you were unwell or injured on holiday?
Not only will travel insurance cover you in the event of an illness, but it will also cover you for lost luggage, losing your passport, lost or stolen cash and so much more including your travel company going under. For a relatively small sum, travel cover come as a huge relief should things go wrong.
What are the different types of travel insurance?
There are typically two types of travel insurance. Single trip insurance covers departure from and return to the UK, with all cover stopping on your return to the UK. If you are looking to travel more than once, consider annual multi-trip insurance. This is valid for one year and allows multiple trips from and back to the UK within this period, however duration restrictions per trip will apply.
What is not included in travel insurance?
As an insurance broker, we work with a range of insurers to ensure all policies are as fully comprehensive and protective as possible. However, there are some aspects which are generally not covered in travel insurance policies. These are as follows:
- Alcohol and drugs- most travel insurance policies do not cover events that happen after you have drunk excessive alcohol or taken recreational drugs or other substances.
- High risk destinations- many travel insurers will not cover travel to a high-risk destination where the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against all but essential travel or all travel.
- Age restrictions- check whether there are any age-related restrictions.
- Extreme sports- the likes of bungee jumping, jet skiing, quad biking, winter sports or skydiving are not usually included in standard policies.
- Driving overseas- If you’re hiring a car, check what cover the hire company provides. If you are driving your own vehicle, check your motor insurance policy to see what it covers.
- War and terrorist acts - most policies offer only limited cover for emergency medical expenses required as a consequence of war or terrorist acts.
- Unattended baggage - restrictions apply to losses from public vehicles, beaches, public areas and unattended motor vehicles.
It’s worth being aware that some standard travel insurance policies may exclude cover for claims related to a pre-existing medical condition. We can help you source specialist policies to instead cover these claims.
Get in touch
Try us out and see how we can help save money and make finding the right insurance cover that little bit easier for you.