03301 652 726

Talk to us to help save yourself time & money

Why choose Howden for Tractor Insurance?

When it comes to getting you your tractor insurance, we at Howden pride ourselves on doing the heavy lifting, so you don’t have to. Thanks to the great relationships we have with our selected panel of rural insurers, we make the process of comparing multiple tractor insurance policies, on your behalf, simple, easy, and straightforward. What’s not to like?

As an experienced insurance broker, our team also recognises that each tractor policy needs to be as individual as its owner and their tractor, so that’s why we provide a tailored, personalised service, focused on getting to know you and finding out exactly what you want from your cover.

Ultimately, whether you need to make a claim, purchase a new tractor policy, or renew an existing one, just know that we’re here to help.

Benefits of working with Howden:

  • You can trust us – we’re rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
  • We’re driven to save you time, money, and hassle.
  • Benefit from a tailored service that comparison sites can’t provide.
  • Speak to a local rural insurance expert.
  • We’re right by your side in the event of a claim.

Tractor Insurance with Howden

At Howden, we understand that tractors and agricultural vehicles are integral to your livelihood. 

They are huge assets and play a major part in many businesses, so it’s important to make sure you’re covered to help keep things running smoothly should the worst happen.

As an insurance broker, we work with a panel of insurers to help find the right policy for you. Plus, we’re by your side if you need to make a claim, helping liaise directly with the insurer, so you can focus on your business. 

Here’s some features of the tractor policies we offer:

  • Free agricultural trailer and attachment cover (attached or detached)
  • Free legal expenses cover (£50,000)
  • Any licenced driver as standard
  • Unlimited windscreen cover (subject to £75 Excess)
  • Personal belongings cover £500
  • Replacement locks covered up to £1,000

Want to find out more about how we can help you with finding the right tractor insurance? Contact our rural team today!

More about tractor insurance

Tractors are used by farmers and landowners all over the world to help with agricultural work. Many people also take vintage and classic tractors to showcase at rallies and events. Unfortunately, these heavy-duty vehicles can also cause substantial damage to property and people if they are used incorrectly or are involved in accidents.

As tractors evolve for modern formwork they have become faster and more powerful with a range of expensive gadgets and extras. Despite the numerous benefits, these improvements can increase the risks involved in working with these kinds of vehicles. Newer tractors are also at an increased chance of getting stolen as they are more valuable.

Your tractor may be an essential part of your job, which can make damage or legal fees all the more difficult to deal with if you are left unable to work for an extended period of time. In instances such as this, tractor insurance can provide you with peace of mind to know that you have some financial help to ease the burden should the worst happen.

Insurance can help cover legal fees and fund a replacement tractor or parts. You can also find a policy that covers other vehicles on your land, such as 4x4s, vans and diggers.

What is tractor insurance?

Tractor insurance covers your vehicle for things such as theft and vandalism. There are various policies that you can choose from to provide you with your desired cover.

Tractor insurance isn't necessarily a legal requirement if you are solely using it on your own land. However, tractor insurance is a worthy investment to protect your assets against unexpected circumstances.

Covering the cost of lost or damaged vehicles can have a significant financial and emotional impact, which is where insurance can help to soften the blow. Insurance may also be mandatory if you have used a loan to help pay for your tractor.

Continue reading to find out how tractor policies vary and what you can be covered for.

What qualifies as a tractor?

A tractor is defined by the UK government using the EU Regulation 167/2013. It is an engineering vehicle that is designed to 'pull, push, carry and actuate' machinery for agricultural purposes. They tend to move at slow speeds.

Vehicles such as combine harvesters and crop sprayers are classed as agricultural motor vehicles. Instead of tractor insurance, these vehicles would be classed under the rural motor insurance cover.

What does tractor insurance cover?

Tractor insurance covers the vehicle and may also cover trailers and accessories, depending on the policy. This could include add-ons such as horse and livestock trailers. The insurance will also cover spare parts and any personal belongings that are in the vehicle at the time of the incident.

There is no legal requirement to insure your tractor for the road if you only use it on your own land. However, you will need road insurance if you take the tractor off your land.

There are three types of cover that you can choose from. Below is a summary of what you can expect with each level of cover.

Third-party only (TPO)

Third-party only is the most basic form of cover. This insurance will cover you if a claim is made against you. For example, if your tractor injures someone or damages their property. TPO insurance will not cover you if your tractor is stolen or damaged.

Third-party, fire and theft (TPFT)

TPFT insurance covers everything that Third Party covers, along with some extras. As the name suggests, you will also be covered if your tractor is stolen or damaged in a fire.

Comprehensive cover

This insurance policy offers the most cover out of the three. You will be covered for third party, fire and theft as with the previous policy. You will also be covered if you are involved in an accident, or your tractor is damaged due to vandalism.

Can I get fleet tractor insurance?

Fleet tractor insurance means that you can insure multiple vehicles under one policy.

Your vehicles can also be listed under agricultural insurance. This type of insurance covers farm buildings, livestock and crop against perils such as fire, storms and accidental damage.

It is often better value for money to insure a single tractor, but it can get complicated and expensive if you are trying to insure a number of vehicles individually. This is because you will have increased admin and may miss essential payment deadlines or renewal terms.

Insurance companies may also give you a reduced rate if you insure multiple vehicles with them.

Can I get classic tractor insurance?

Insurance companies can individually assess classic tractors to ensure that you get the best insurance for its actual value. Policies can cover you against fire, theft and damage.

This cover is mostly used for tractors that are taken on the road to shows or to participate in live demonstrations.

How much does tractor insurance cost?

As with most farm equipment, tractors can be expensive to buy and maintain, which has a effect on insurance premiums. Add-ons such as trailers and accessories can push the prices up, as can any additional vehicles. The cover level that you choose, be it comprehensive TPFT or TPO, can also result in different quote prices.

You might think that a comprehensive cover would be the most expensive because it gives the most cover. However, the minimal cover offered on policies such as third party only pushes the premiums up and means that you have less cover at a higher cost.

Who can drive a tractor?

Agricultural or forestry tractors

You need to own a category F license to be able to drive your tractor on the road. You are able to obtain this type of license from the age of 16. There are limits on what a 16-year-old can drive. These include tractors that are up to 2.45 metres wide. You can also operate with tow trailers up to 2.45 metres wide, with two wheels or four close-coupled wheels. Those aged 17 or older do not have these limitations.

You are entitled to have a category F license if you own a Category B car license.

Tractors used for other purposes

If you don't use your tractor for agricultural purposes, you will need a goods vehicle license. This can be obtained with a category C1E driving license. If you intend to drive other non-tractor agricultural vehicles, you must be 21 years or older and own a category B license.

Aside from insuring your tractor, you must also make sure that it is taxed. Tractors driven on the road must also have a flashing amber beacon that is lit at all times.

How can I save money on tractor insurance?

The easiest way to save money on your insurance is to make sure that you are buying the insurance that you need. There's no reason to overpay on policies and perks that aren't relevant to your vehicle. Insurance brokers can help you find the best policy by acting as an intermediary between you and multiple insurance companies.

Another way to save money is to insure multiple tractors or vehicles at once. This can work out more affordable than individually insuring each vehicle.

Your insurance premium can be lowered by keeping your tractor on private land. This reduces some risk by not exposing it to dangers on the road. A low claims history will also help to reduce your insurance cost.


Get in touch

Try us out and see how we can help save money and make finding the right insurance cover that little bit easier for you.

Specialist rural cover from a dedicated team of experts

Whether you need to cover a farm, an estate, any motor vehicles, your stock, or equipment, we can help you find your ideal rural insurance policy.

Specialist cover for you, your horse and your tack.

Our specialist equine cover has been designed specifically for riders and owners as well as their horses.

Bespoke farm and estate cover that works for you

We offer a comprehensive range of farm and estate insurance policies to suits farmers, landowners, and estates of all sizes.