Why you need a broker for your flood insurance

2 minutes

If you live in an area prone to floods, are contemplating a move to a home near water, or live in a property which has been previously flooded, it will inevitably have an impact on your home insurance and you may find it more challenging to get the cover you need. That’s why you need a broker.

Finding a flood insurance policy

In assessing a property’s risk of flooding, insurers not only use their own claims experience, but also the information they can gain from flood mapping tools and the information provided by a homeowner.  They will also consider a property’s history, locality, and features as well as flood resilience and resistance measures. Speak to a specialist broker like Aston Lark and we’ll negotiate with insurers to find the right flood insurance policy for you.

  • We’ll explain to insurers what flood mitigation you have around your property. The more measures you’ve taken, such as raising the electrics and using water-resistant materials, the more likely you are to source a policy including flood cover. 
  • We’ll shop around the market on your behalf – potentially finding an insurer that doesn’t deem your property to be in a flood risk area
  • We’ll look at the viability of a higher excess
  • We will negotiate with insurers who have access to Flood Re, a Government backed scheme established to help those in high-risk areas obtain home insurance.

Quality cover

Flood insurance considers more than insuring the buildings and the contents. A headline buildings figure or “unlimited cover” doesn’t tell the whole story. Here’s what we consider:

  • Alternative Accommodation. The damage to your home from a flood can be extensive – and it may take longer than you think to get your home back to normal. Your first step is to move into alternative accommodation, but what alternative accommodation cover do you need? Will a set time limit or a percentage of the buildings sums insured be sufficient?
  • New for old cover. Will your insurer pay for new carpets and curtains? Many policies make a deduction for wear and tear or old age, which may not pay out enough to replace everything.
  • Outdoor items. Do you need cover for outdoor items that could be damaged by flood waters, for example, barbecues or patio furniture?

Not all policies are the same and you’ll only realise the difference when you have to make a claim. Cover restrictions are typically in the policy wording – often referred to as the small print – so you’d be forgiven for missing them. But we won’t miss them.

Guiding you through a claim

A flood brings with it physical hazards and emotional stress. If your home is flooded, you need to look after yourself and those around you. Our in-house Claims Team will help guide you through a loss and get you the best possible settlement, quickly and without fuss. We only deal with policies underwritten by quality insurers, who have good financial stability and want to pay, not avoid, claims.